Can you reverse Type 2 Diabetes?
Functional Medicine may be the solution you have been looking for.
If you want to reverse Type 2 Diabetes and get a fresh start on life, this may be the most important page you’ll ever read… Here’s why.
Over the past decade I have spent countless hours and many thousands of dollars learning the absolute most effective ways to reverse disease without the use of medications and in doing so, created a one of a kind program that has consistently helped people reverse their Diabetes and feel young again.
If Diabetes is reversible…
Why do so many people watch their body slowly fail as a result of Diabetes?
Most people are told that Type 2 Diabetes has no cure
Has your doctor ever told you that Type 2 Diabetes can be reversed? Most people have heard at least one doctor say that diabetes is a chronic, degenerative condition that just gets worse over time. The longer you have diabetes, the more problems you can expect and it’s not a matter of if you’ll develop complications, it’s a matter of when you will develop them.
Unfortunately, most people will get progressively worse over time. Following standard medical recommendations your blood glucose levels will gradually creep up, medications will need to be increased, insulin will be prescribed, and eventually complications will develop.
In fact statistics from the United States Center for Disease Control state:
• People with diabetes are about 2-4 times more likely to have a stroke.
• Two out of three people with diabetes die from either heart disease or stroke.
• Diabetes is the leading cause of adult blindness in the United States.
• Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure in the United States.
• Over 65,000 leg amputations occur every year as a result of Diabetes.
• About 60-70% of people with Diabetes have mild to severe forms of nervous system damage such as neuropathy which can cause debilitating pain.
• About one-third of people with diabetes have severe periodontal disease consisting of loss of attachment of the gums to the teeth.
If that’s not enough:
• Experts are now referring to Alzheimer’s disease as being called Diabetes Type 3. Increasing research is providing evidence that high blood sugar may be a major factor in the cause of Alzheimer’s disease.
• Diabetes is associated with increased prevalence of numerous different cancers. In fact, Diabetes doubles the risk of liver, pancreatic, and endometrial cancer. Did you know that sugar is the preferred fuel source for growth of cancer cells?
Diabetics are taught to “Manage their Diabetes” rather than “Reverse their Diabetes”
The term “managing Diabetes” sets the expectation right from the beginning that you are going to live the rest of your life with Diabetes. It’s a lot to process when you think about the possibility that you will spend the rest of your life with a disease that will slowly destroy your body and eventually take you out.
Drug therapy is often looked at as the only answer
This is a huge reason why diabetes has become such a problem. Treating diabetes with drug therapy with the goal of reducing blood glucose and A1c is not only ineffective in reversing the progress of the disease, but it can also do more harm than good.
In fact recent research published in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine documented a 5 year study showing that using medications to aggressively lower blood glucose actually resulted in more deaths from any cause than standard therapy.
Reference: New England Journal of Medicine 2011;364:818-28.
What’s even worse is that when you are put on Insulin therapy a whole set of new problems can arise. The more Insulin you take the more you need as you become more insulin resistant, which causes you to gain more weight and even shorten your life expectancy. That’s why insulin therapy often proves to be the beginning of the end for Diabetics.
The one size fits all approach to Type 2 Diabetes
The truth is, most well intentioned doctors recommend treatments based on the “standard of care”. “Standard of care” means that the same recommendations are given to everyone.
When basing treatment on a “standard of care” the focus is on the disease, not the individual. It doesn’t matter who you are or whether you see a family practice doctor, an Endocrinologist, or another type of specialist. This is just the accepted approach to care. With Type 2 Diabetes the “standard of care” is to start with one medication (usually Metformin). When that stops maintaining your blood sugar level then they add another medication… then another… until finally you are prescribed insulin shots, which is started when this cocktail of medications “stops working”.
The 2014 Diabetes standard of care doesn’t even mention the possibility of reversing Diabetes, only about trying preventing it (with drugs of course) and managing it.
So how is this "standard of care" working out for us?
From 1983 to 2008, world-wide diabetes incidence has increased 7 fold from 35 to 240 million. Remarkably, from 2008 to 2011, we have added another 110 million to the population with diabetes. If you can believe it, the rate of increase is even now!
The economic burden of caring for these people with pre-diabetes and diabetes will be $3.5 trillion over 10 years and some economist project that it may eventually bankrupt our economy.
Most doctors don’t have a plan to help you reverse Diabetes
If they did, don’t you think they would have mentioned it already?
In America’s insurance-driven medical system, patient volume often takes priority over quality of care. The doctor’s in the traditional primary care or endocrinology practice just simply don’t have the time to sit down with their patients and help coach, educate, monitor, and motivate their patients to make the dietary and lifestyle changes necessary to reverse diabetes.
Instead what most Diabetics get is a prescription and are just told to eat right and exercise. When confronted, many doctors feel that even if they had the time, patients wouldn’t follow through anyway.
I think this is just not good enough…
I witnessed my wife’s grandmother and uncle spend the end of their lives suffering through complications as a result of Diabetes. Her grandmother suffered through multiple heart attacks resulting in 2 open heart surgeries and in the end she suffered 6 more heart attacks within months until the final one was too much for her body to handle. Her uncle spent over a year in the hospital, mostly paralyzed from the neck down, and barely able to speak. With one complication after another his body was simply unable to heal and in the end his body gave out. These experiences are part of what motivated me to specialize in helping people with Diabetes.
This type of occurrence is all too common and if you are like most Diabetics you’re probably worried about:
- Progressively declining energy levels that are affecting your ability to get things done.
- The endless worrying about your medications, injections, and finger pricks.
- Your future with diabetes and the likelihood of developing complications.
- The stress of trying to figure out your diet, counting carbs, and finding the energy to exercise.
- The quality of care you are getting from doctors.
- The financial burden of increasing cost of medical care now and in the future.
- What other people think about you and your “disease”.
- If you’re best years are behind you.
- How long you’ll be around for your family and grandchildren.
You may even be feeling frustrated with your doctors wishing your doctor knew as much about diabetes as you do!
You’re not alone. Most people with diabetes are rightfully worried and sometimes even overwhelmed about the same things. In most cases, you’ve been given little hope and less guidance on how to reverse your disease and regain your health.
The good news is that it doesn’t have to be this way.
It’s a proven fact that you can reverse diabetes?
A ground breaking new study in the Journal Diabetologia proved exactly that. Through very sophisticated techniques including MRI imaging, they measured their blood sugar and insulin responses, cholesterol levels and fat in the pancreas and liver (some of the hallmarks of diabetes) before and after diet changes.
What they found was revolutionary. The beta cells which are the cells of the pancreas that produce insulin, began functioning normally again and the fat deposits in the pancreas and liver went away. Blood sugars normalized and triglycerides dropped. The body’s cells became more insulin sensitive and eventually all evidence of diabetes was gone.
I clearly remember the first person I helped to reverse Diabetes
It was a woman who had been trying unsuccessfully for a long time to lose weight on her own. When she was finally diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, she was finally willing to ask for help. We got right after it and after 6 weeks of working together she went in for a checkup with her medical doctor that diagnosed her with Diabetes.
When the lab work came back, she was no longer Diabetic!
Since then I have only improved my evaluation and treatment protocols, making it much more personalized and reproducible.
While this may be surprising to most, it is something I see regularly with the clients I work with. With focused, strategic, scientifically based nutritional intervention, combined with exercise, stress management and sugar and insulin balancing nutritional supplements, many of my patients completely reverse their diabetes.
And the side effects… more energy, better sleep, improved sexual function and weight loss are all good.
So what’s the secret to reversing your Diabetes?
I’m glad you asked! I look at you as a person and not a disease. A person who has Diabetes, but is very unique from any other person. I don’t give you a “standard of care” or a pre-determined set of medications, supplements, diet, or exercise. I look at what is not working right wrong in your body and I help you make the adjustments necessary to make your body work a whole lot better.
You need to know the underlying causes of Diabetes.
Sure, we all know that if you don’t exercise and you have a bad diet, that your chances of developing Diabetes are much greater.
But what causes one person with poor lifestyle habits to develop Diabetes while another doesn’t?
- Have you ever wondered why YOU got Diabetes?
- Have you ever wondered why some people more overweight than you don’t have Diabetes?
The answer is because there are many other factors beyond weight, diet, and exercise that can cause a person to develop Diabetes. In order to correct the underlying problems that may be causing you to be Diabetic you need to determine what these factors are.
Some of the primary factors that can contribute to Diabetes are food allergies and sensitivities, microbial imbalances, toxin exposure, chronic stress, and calorie rich / nutrient poor diet which leads to multiple nutritional deficiencies. These lead to inflammation, oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction, hormonal dysfunction, cellular dysfunction, enzyme dysfunction, insulin resistance, and Diabetes.
Now I’m sure you may not have always had the best diet and you are probably overweight, but studies have shown that being overweight it not the whole story.
In fact, an amazing discovery was made in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. The researchers analyzed data regarding BMI (body mass index) which is commonly used as a measure of obesity, GGT which is a lab measure that can be used an indirect measure of toxic exposure, and the prevalence of Type 2 Diabetes.
Their conclusions revealed that high BMI (body mass index) was not associated with prevalent type 2 diabetes when GGT was normal, suggesting that obesity itself may not be a sufficient risk factor for type 2 diabetes.
What this means is that overweight individuals with higher levels of toxic exposure had much higher rates of Type 2 diabetes while overweight individuals with lower levels of toxic exposure had no increased rates of Type 2 Diabetes.
If these problems cause Diabetes, don’t you think it would be a good idea to test for them?
Has your doctor ever ran any tests to see why you have Diabetes or are they just monitoring the progression of your disease by measuring your HbA1c levels?
- Has your doctor ever measured your body's levels of inflammation?
- Has your doctor ever helped you determine what foods you may have problems with?
- Has your doctor ever performed a comprehensive digestive analysis?
- Has your doctor ever tested you for toxicity?
- Has your doctor ever tested your adrenal hormones? (your stress hormones)
- Has your doctor ever tested you for nutritional deficiencies?
- Has your doctor ever performed a comprehensive thyroid panel? (more than just TSH)
To give you an example of the importance of just one of these, a comprehensive Thyroid panel should include these tests: TSH, total T4, free T4, free T3, reverse T3, Thyroid peroxidase antibodies, and Thyroglobulin antibodies. Most doctors only test TSH and they miss the diagnosis of poor Thyroid function.
Your Thyroid function is a really important factor in whether you are overweight or not. Thyroid hormones drive the metabolism of all your cells and if you have poor Thyroid function your body can burn 300-500 less calories less per day. That’s 9,000-15,500 calories per month that are getting stored vs. burned!!!
Is this frustrating to learn? It sure frustrates me! It’s sad to know that you and most Diabetics suffer with this disease because they don’t know this information!
Imagine what it would be like to get rid of
- Imagine what it would feel like if you felt like you did when you were younger.
- Imagine how great it would be to have energy left at the end of the day.
- Imagine how fun it would be to play with your children or grandchildren.
- Imagine not worrying about medications, finger sticks, and insulin shots.
- Imagine not worrying about Diabetes complications.
- Imagine the rest of your life without Diabetes instead of with Diabetes!
I have a plan for you to help you get healthy again
Step 1: We will schedule a no risk consultation to see if you would be a good fit for my program.
Step 2: I will create a detailed plan for you to regain your health and you can decide if it sounds right for you.
Step 3: We will get started right away on regaining your health and vitality.
How will my program work?
- I will run some very specialized tests to determine what factors may have caused you to develop Diabetes and that are preventing you from being healthy.
- I will create a custom nutritional program for you. I will help you determine what foods you should be eating, what foods you shouldn’t be eating, and what ratios of protein, carbohydrates, and fats. I will even work with you to make eating well easier for you.
- I will create a custom workout program that is just right for you. I help you to determine the best types of exercise for you and if you are unable to exercise due to pain, then I will work with you to relieve your pain. Don’t worry you won’t need to become an athlete to reverse your Diabetes.
- I will create a custom nutritional supplement program for you. I will use your lab results as a guide to determine what your body needs. No more guessing on what supplements might be good for you.
- I will systematically help you to correct the imbalances you have on your lab tests. It is best to address certain issues in a very specific order and we will work to correct each problem one by one. We will achieve this through focused, strategic, scientifically based nutritional intervention, combined with exercise, stress management and nutritional supplementation that is personalized to you.
- You really start living your life again by adding years to your life and life to your years.
What do you think your health would look like if we actually did all this?
Would you like me to personally help you fast track your way to lower blood sugar?
I’d like to set aside some time to talk to you personally. I can answer your questions and personally explain how I work with Diabetics to regain their health and quality of life.
There is no risk for this and there’s no catch. If you enjoy the conversation and get value from it, we can discuss working together long term to help you get the results you are looking to achieve.
If you feel like my process is not for you, there will be no hard feeling and hopefully you will have received some helpful information about your condition.
Go ahead and click on the button below and you can schedule your free 15 minute consultation.
PS: If you know this is perfect for you and you wanted to get started right away, you can skip the free consultation and schedule a New Patient Visit.
Click here to get your special offer
If you’re not quite sure yet, let me answer a few questions you may be having.
Is this really any different than what you have tried before?
My program is not just a diet and some cinnamon pills. My program is dramatically different than any program you have ever seen. How do I know this? Because, if you had gone through a program like this you likely wouldn’t be reading this because you probably wouldn’t have Type 2 Diabetes.
The program is customized and personalized to systematically identify and correct all the imbalances that are preventing you from being healthy. Due to the nature of our program not only does it help you to lower blood sugar but it also helps most people reverse many other health problems they’ve had for years. Things like digestive problems, fatigue, and chronic pain usually improve or are completely eliminated when the underlying causes of disease is corrected.
Will this program work for me?
While I can’t guarantee that you will reverse your Diabetes, what I can guarantee is:
- A personalized program always gets better results than a one-size-fits-all approach.
- I will do everything I can to get you well.
- I have a detailed plan for your success.
- I know the factors that can prevent you from getting better.
- I have systems in place to address these sticking points.
You are almost certain to see dramatic improvements in your health. I have never had a client that didn’t improve to some degree.
Can’t I just reverse my Diabetes on my own?
You may be able to if… You eat perfectly and exercise on a daily basis. But if you could do this, why haven’t you? For most people, being perfect is not sustainable. Have you ever lost weight and gained it right back? It’s practically the American way!
Sure, you can keep guessing on how to eat, how to exercise, and what supplements to take… You can keep wasting precious time and money on more medications, testing supplies, diet plans, or the next miracle supplement. You can even continue all this and stay Diabetic, but you don’t have to…
Wouldn’t you like to know what is wrong with your body? You certainly can’t order the labs you need, interpret the results, and create an effective treatment plan to solve your problems. Most doctors are not even willing (or knowledgeable enough) to run these labs and even fewer can provide you with an effective and drug-free treatment plan to correct the problems you are having.
My goal is to help you correct these problems so you can enjoy your life free from Diabetes again!
Don’t you think a no risk consultation would be worth your time to see if my program could help?
Disclaimer: Although we get amazing results with our clients, we do not claim to treat any disease and make no guarantee that you will reverse Diabetes or any other condition. What we do is help people regain their health through focused, strategic, scientifically based nutritional intervention, combined with exercise, stress management and nutritional supplements.
The Functional Medicine Center is located in Irvine at the heart of Orange County. We serve clients all over Orange County including the cities of Irvine, Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, Santa Ana, Anaheim, Laguna Beach, Lake Forest, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Hills, Laguna Woods, Mission Viejo, Foothill Ranch, Ladera Ranch, and Coto de Caza.